Sunday, February 22


Rajkot: To ensure planned urban development and prevent future flooding, the Rajkot Municipal Corporation (RMC) on Saturday launched a massive, phased operation to remove illegal encroachments along the banks of the Aji river and the TP Road in the Jangleshwar area, with demolitions to begin on Monday.The operation, backed by intensive planning and stringent security, targets the removal of 1,489 illegal structures spread over 87,000 square metres. The largest concentration is along the Aji riverbank, where 992 structures on 55,000 sq metres are set to be demolished. Another 497 structures on 32,000 sq metres along the town planning road will also be cleared. The RMC mobilized machinery and manpower for the drive. More than 1,130 officers and employees were deployed across seven demarcated zones, supported by heavy equipment including 70 backhoe loaders and 84 tractors. A control room was set up for continuous, centralized monitoring and quick decision-making. “This is a crucial step for the comprehensive development of Rajkot,” an RMC official said. “Removing these obstacles will restore the natural flow of the Aji river, mitigate waterlogging during the monsoon and pave the way for development projects.” The RMC said notices had been issued to all residents concerned, asking them to voluntarily remove illegal constructions. While the operation began on Saturday, demolition will start on Monday for structures that remain. The civic body warned that demolition costs will be recovered from property owners, who will also be held liable for material damage. The civic body appealed to citizens to voluntarily dismantle encroachments and offered technical guidance, small machinery and assistance with debris removal to those who cooperate. The operation involves coordination between the estate, town planning, police and utility departments. Adequate police security was deployed to maintain law and order, with senior municipal officers overseeing the work. Police also prepared for the exercise. The police commissioner issued several notifications on Saturday, including invoking Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita Section 163, which prohibits the assembly of more than four people to maintain law and order. The use of drones and the carrying or display of weapons in public places were also prohibited.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version