Monday, February 16


Kottayam/T’puram: NSS and SNDP Yogam on Monday reiterated that women of menstruating age should not be allowed entry into the Sabarimala temple as the Supreme Court considered review petitions in the matter.NSS general secretary G Sukumaran Nair reiterated that the state govt should oppose the entry of menstruating women into Sabarimala in the apex court while SNDP Yogam general secretary Vellappally Natesan said it was not appropriate to allow an entry practice that did not exist at the temple earlier.Nair demanded the state govt and the Travancore Devaswom Board revise their previous stance of permitting young women into the Ayyappa temple.Nair stated that the upcoming assembly elections should not be mixed with the issue. NSS remained firm in protecting faith and the LDF govt proceeded without changing traditions for the past six years. He also mentioned that the Union govt only recently intervened in this matter and he expected the state govt to take a stand to protect traditions.Nair said that the state govt did not give any specific assurances regarding the Sabarimala issue and expressed hope for a fair decision from the new bench. He emphasised that progress should not come at the expense of faith and mentioned that they previously requested the govt to drop cases against innocent people involved in the namajapa protest.Natesan said the govt should make necessary corrections regarding the women’s entry issue.“SNDP did not approach Supreme Court to become a party in the case. Whether to file an affidavit or not should be decided by the govt after discussion,” said Natesan. He said SNDP Yogam had earlier expressed disappointment over the Supreme Court judgment allowing women’s entry.“If entry is allowed, women of certain age groups in the state themselves would not go there. I believe they would not go and I appeal that they should not go,” he said.“We should also remember that those who supported the judgment earlier are now against it. The court has now given the government an opportunity to express its opinion. Let the court make a decision,” he said. Natesan added that he would pray for a decision restricting the entry of women of certain age groups.Faith and reform must go together: RajeeveLaw minister P Rajeeve on Monday said the state govt still has time to clarify its stand on the issue and that the matter cannot be reduced to a “yes or no” answer. He said the govt would take a decision after examining all aspects of the matter. He stated that the govt’s action at the time of the earlier controversy was in compliance with the Supreme Court verdict.When asked whether the govt would support or seek a modification of women’s entry into Sabarimala, Rajeeve did not give a direct reply. He said faith and social reform must go together and that this was the govt’s stand in its affidavit before the court.Rajeeve said that the state govt, in its earlier affidavit, had suggested constituting a commission of scholars with deep knowledge of Hindu beliefs and a record in social reformation to study women’s entry issue, but the apex court did not consider it. However, the govt stands by its suggestions, he said.Meanwhile, the Supreme Court directed the state govt and other parties to inform it of their position on the Sabarimala women’s entry issue by March 14. Detailed hearings are scheduled to begin on April 7.The direction was issued while the court was considering various petitions relating to women’s entry into Sabarimala and broader questions concerning religious practices and women’s rights. The petitions were heard by a three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Surya Kant. In Nov 2018, the Supreme Court permitted the entry of women of all age groups into the Sabarimala temple, triggering widespread protests across Kerala. (With inputs from agencies)



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version