Wednesday, August 19


Police and BDDS personnel search a school in Wardhaman Nagar, Nagpur, after a bomb threat email triggered a precautionary evacuation

Nagpur: A terror email threatening to bomb 20 schools and key govt institutions, including the high court, RSS shakhas, mayor’s office and civic body headquarters sparked panic across Nagpur on Tuesday, triggering a red alert and frantic evacuations from school campuses and govt premises. At least 600 police personnel were pressed into a four-hour intensive search and anti-sabotage operations alongside bomb disposal squads, which failed to find any suspicious or explosive material till noon.The police brass allayed fears of serial bombings, calling the threat purportedly by Khalistani elements a hoax. Police and intelligence apparatus, however, warned that the threat perception continued as the email threatened blasts again on Aug 31. Parents and students at several top schools, including Centre Point, Poddar International, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Bhavans and Delhi Public School went into panic as police, dog squads and anti-sabotage experts evacuated campuses and searched classrooms, toilet blocks, staff and common rooms. “We were cautious not to trigger chaos on campuses,” said a senior cop. The emails, received around 8:51 am, also mentioned RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath.A school in Lava was among the first to receive the email from the ID hxggzf7@gmail.com. Written in English and Punjabi, the email carried the subject line — Bomb Blast Nagpur @ 1:11pm and opened with ‘Nagpur Marathi Bolega’ and Khalistan zindabad.Similar threats were issued to the high court at 2:11 pm, accusing the bench of injustice against Khalistan supporters, and abusive emails were directed at the Mayor office and Nagpur Municipal Corporation at 3:11pm. The threat concluded with slogans of ‘Khalistan National Army’ with references to Babbar Khalsa.DCP Crime Deepak Aggarwal told TOI that an offence was registered at the cyber police station. “We are coordinating with Gmail to locate the source,” said Aggarwal adding a VPN network was likely used for sending the email and efforts are underway to track the source. Though preliminary assessment by security agencies indicated emails were a hoax aimed at creating fear, the threats were being treated with seriousness.Police control rooms, media houses, education department and collector’s office received frantic calls from parents and citizens seeking information. Schools across the city, including campuses at Wardhaman Nagar, Seminary Hills, Besa, Ajni, Vayusena Nagar, Lava, Mihan, Kamptee Road, Cantonment Area, Kamptee and Ordnance Factory Ambazari went into high alert mode.Worried parents thronged school gates, making repeated phone calls to principals, teachers and media persons, while trying to take their children home.Students were seen panicking as rumours spread. School managements and police personnel present in the premises tried to calm the situation, assuring parents that thorough checks were underway and no immediate danger had been detected. “Police are here and anti-sabotage teams are conducting detailed scans. Remain calm,” school authorities told parents.Police commissioner Vishwas Nangre Patil coordinated with the Joint Commissioner of Police, Navinchandra Reddy, and other top officers. They were directed to prevent chaos and ensure seamless evacuations.Talking to TOI, joint CP Reddy said, police contacted school authorities and explained the dos and don’ts. “The standard operating procedures were discussed in detail. Schools were urged to ensure the campuses were on high alert for the next four days. No student should touch or venture near unidentified objects. No untoward incidents were reported. DCPs, zonal DCPs and additional CPs supervised the evacuations, searches and checks,” said Reddy.The police brass directed continuous monitoring, enhanced patrolling around educational institutions, courts and key offices, and close coordination with central intelligence agencies. Sources random checks will continue for another four to five days even as the city remains under heightened security cover till midnight.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version