Wednesday, February 18


Shimla: Himachal Pradesh chief minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu on Tuesday announced the state govt will constitute a special investigation team (SIT) to probe alleged benami (proxy) land transactions around Gaggal airport in Kangra district and Gagret in Una district. Speaking on the second day of the legislative assembly’s budget session, Sukhu said strict action would be taken against groups involved in such illegal dealings.The announcement came in response to a question raised by the Congress MLA from Gagret, Rakesh Kalia, during the question hour. Kalia alleged that a retired officer from Uttarakhand is involved in benami land deals, claiming that large-scale transactions initially occurred in Gagret and then moved to the Gaggal airport area. Kalia alleged that outsiders were purchasing land near Gaggal airport and money was being transferred into the bank accounts of people from Uttarakhand. The Gagret MLA alleged that the same retired officer, who is now exploiting locals, was involved in attempts to topple the Congress govt in 2024, noting that an FIR had already been filed against him. Kalia added that while the officer previously operated from Gagret, he had since shifted to Delhi. The CM clarified that outsiders cannot purchase land in Himachal Pradesh without mandatory permission under Section 118 of the Himachal Pradesh Tenancy and Land Reforms Act. In response to another query from Kalia, Sukhu informed the House that a total of Rs 1,460 crore was disbursed to 4,649 affected individuals under the proposed land acquisition for Kangra airport’s expansion, in accordance with Section 26 of the HP Right to Fair Compensation, Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation, and Resettlement Act, 2013. OTHER DISCUSSION IN HOUSEUnresponsive Bureaucrats | Assembly speaker Kuldeep Singh Pathania took serious note of claims that bureaucrats were ignoring phone calls from elected representatives. Responding to concerns raised during the question hour, he asked Congress MLA from Gagret, Rakesh Kalia, to submit the names of such officers in writing so that action could be initiated. Kalia said telephone allowances of bureaucrats should be withdrawn if they fail to respond even to MLAs. Calling the matter a grave issue, the speaker termed it a “serious aspersion” on officers and assured the House of action upon receiving a formal complaint. Other legislators also supported Kalia’s claims.600 govt buildings vacant: CM | Nearly 600 govt buildings across the state are lying vacant, said CM Sukhu on Tuesday. He said detailed information was being collected from various departments and would soon be presented in the assembly. Meanwhile, Una MLA Satpal Singh Satti urged the govt to compile data and make proper use of these vacant properties, instead of operating govt offices from rented premises, particularly at a time when the state is facing financial constraints.MLA funds to be discussed | Leader of opposition Jai Ram Thakur pressed the govt to release two pending instalments of the MLA local area development fund and legislators’ discretionary grants. On this, the CM assured the state govt was reviewing the matter and would meet opposition leaders soon to determine how much could be released before the fiscal year ends, considering the constraints following the 16th Finance Commission’s discontinuation of revenue deficit grant. Thakur said the state govt had already made budgetary provision for the grants last year, but the funds were not being released.Disability posts largely vacant | Social justice and empowerment minister Col Dhani Ram Shandil (retd) informed that 1,459 posts reserved for persons with disabilities (PwDs) had been vacant across govt departments. Between Aug 2023 and Jul 2025, only 101 such posts were filled. He said efforts were underway to fill the remaining vacancies. Satti and Nachan MLA Vinod Kumar said disabled persons repeatedly staged protests outside the state secretariat in Shimla and faced harassment. With the govt citing a lack of eligible candidates, Kumar urged for relaxation of recruitment criteria.Utility duct project safe, says CM | CM Sukhu said the underground utility duct being laid from Chotta Shimla to Willy Park Chaura Maidan posed no risk of ground subsidence. He said after a detailed study of Jaipur and Jammu and Kashmir projects, safety measures and phased drainage work are in place. The duct will carry electrical cables, water pipes, CCTV and telephone lines. The project, costing Rs 146.34 crore, received Rs 25 crore under the special assistance to states for capital investment (SASCI) scheme. The route spans Chotta Shimla to Willy Park Chaura Maidan via Mall Road, Oak Over to Lok Bhawan, Sher-e-Punjab via Lower Bazaar to CTO Chowk, ensuring essential utilities are efficiently managed, he added.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version