Patiala: A day after former Punjab DGP and Congress functionary Mohammad Mustafa claimed that a low-intensity blast near his residence was a targeted attack on him and his family, Malerkotla police said a comprehensive investigation was underway and senior officials were using both technical intelligence and human inputs to bring the case to a “logical conclusion”.Tension escalated after Mustafa made a social media post in which he referred to a recent email sent to schools that also explicitly named him, former DGP Sumedh Saini, and the Punjab chief minister. Mustafa termed the blast and the threat as “shockingly indicative of a collapsing law and order ecosystem in the state”, attacking local police for “total lack of professionalism”.Police had earlier claimed that preliminary assessments indicated the explosion occurred when a buffalo stepped on a discarded polythene bag filled with potash, a highly volatile chemical commonly used in firecracker manufacturing. The explosion injured the animal. Locals told police a similar blast took place at the dump site in May last year.Amargarh DSP Sanjiv Kapoor urged public not to panic. “We are working on multiple theories, examining both the forensic chemical footprints and local human intelligence,” DSP Kapoor said. “A comprehensive investigation report will soon be submitted to the court.”BoxIllegally-made firecrackers seized Sandaur police in Malerkotla on Wednesday raided a rented facility and seized 576 boxes containing illegally manufactured firecrackers. Authorities suspect a direct link between the locally manufactured firecrackers and the hazardous waste dumped at the garbage site which led to the explosion on Tuesday. Investigating officer Surinder Kumar said a case had been registered against unidentified persons and raids were on to identify and nab the accused.


