Monday, August 24


Nagpur: Moving beyond routine challan-based enforcement, traffic police have launched “Operation No Wrong Side,” resorting to criminal prosecution and vehicle seizure to curb the violation. As part of the special drive, 79 FIRs were registered against motorists for wrong-side driving over two days — 48 on Saturday and 31 on Sunday.The operation covered 12 traffic police zones — Sonegaon, MIDC, Sitabuldi, Sadar, Cotton Market, Lakadganj, Ajni, Sakkardara, Indora, Kalamna, Kamptee, and Pardi — reflecting a coordinated citywide effort rather than action confined to a few hotspots.Sonegaon recorded the highest number of cases at 17, followed by Pardi and Lakadganj with 11 each, while Sitabuldi and Sakkardara registered 8 each. The spread of cases underscores how widespread the problem is across the city.Wrong-side driving has emerged as a major traffic menace in Nagpur. DCP (Traffic) Aditya Mirkhelkar, who conceived the operation, said its objective was to check the city’s growing tendency toward this violation. “We are registering FIRs and seizing the vehicles of those caught driving on the wrong side,” he said, adding that stringent action would continue against offenders.The drive ranks among the biggest concentrated criminal crackdowns the traffic police have mounted against a single violation. Offenders can face charges under Sections 281 and 125 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, as well as Section 184 of the Motor Vehicles Act.Traffic police recorded 10,217 such cases in 2025; in the first seven months of 2026 alone, the count has already reached 8,389 — 82% of last year’s total.Wrong-side driving is especially hazardous because it leaves oncoming vehicles little time to react, sharply raising the risk of head-on collisions. Officials said the practice is common among motorists trying to save time or avoid detouring to the next junction for a legal turn.Through this operation, traffic police aim to signal that wrong-side driving will no longer be treated as a minor offence attracting only a fine. FIRs, prosecution, and vehicle seizure are now being deployed to deter motorists from endangering other road users.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version