Monday, May 18


Key events

Sacked pianist’s case against orchestra heads to court

The opening strains of a concert pianist’s discrimination case against the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra are about to be heard in the Federal Court, AAP reports.

Jayson Gillham’s case is set to become a test of workplace rights in Australia and the pianist has crowdfunded more than $175,000 to cover his legal costs.

He is suing the orchestra over the termination of his contract after a performance at an MSO event in 2024, when he performed a solo piece called Witness dedicated to journalists killed in Gaza.

Jayson Gillham. Photograph: Rémi Chauvin/PR IMAGE

Gillham introduced the piece by saying Israel targeted journalists in an effort to prevent the documentation and broadcasting of war crimes to the world.

The orchestra then cancelled his performance at the Melbourne town hall, citing safety concerns, with the controversy making international headlines.

The trial is expected to run for three weeks and the MSO is expected to call around 20 witnesses.

Watt says ‘too many Australians locked out of the housing market’

Murray Watt was asked about the response to the federal budget last week, which is starting to filter through opinion polls this morning. He said the government didn’t design the budget to see the government’s standing go up or down in those surveys, but to see more Australians get into homes.

He went on:

double quotation markI don’t think that anyone listening to the program this morning would seriously think that the current situation can continue … We could either sit back and allow the current situation to continue with too many Australians locked out of the housing market, especially younger Australians, or we could take some difficult decisions.

Now, of course, it’s our job to get out there and explain these decisions.

Watt said the government had an obligation to explain its change in stance on the CGT discount and negative gearing, saying the Labor party was about making sure Australia has an equitable system for both younger and older generations.

Environment minister Murray Watt. Photograph: Mick Tsikas/AAP
Share

Updated at 

Australian health officials to work on ebola outbreak response, minister says

Murray Watt, the federal environment minister, says he expects Australian health officials will be working with other countries as the world responds to the latest outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.

The World Health Organization declared the event a “public health emergency of international concern” on Sunday, urging robust global efforts to limit its spread.

Watt spoke to RN Breakfast this morning, providing a brief update on Australia’s role in that response. He said:

double quotation markI’m sure that our health officials will be working with other countries in terms of the response to this. You know, I think we’ve seen previously around the world outbreaks of Ebola have been of great concern to the world. So as I say, I’m sure that some of our officials in the health department would be working with their international counterparts about this as well.

No one has ever been diagnosed with Ebola virus disease in Australia, according to the Centre for Disease Control. The agency says that just one diagnoses would trigger an urged public health response.

Share

Updated at 

Albanese on three-state blitz to tout budget tax changes

The prime minister, Anthony Albanese, is speaking on Triple M Hobart this morning about the budget plans, continuing the campaign to tout the latest federal budget. He’s stressing once more that changes to the capital gains tax discount and negative gearing are a recalibration of fairness in the housing system.

He said:

double quotation markFirst home buyers who rock up to an auction, and they’re competing against an investor, the investor has the taxpayer by their side.

If they [the investor] have to choose, and they get down to the business end … they’re in a stronger position, because the taxpayer, [if they have to pay more], they have increased tax deductions … now that’s not fair.

Albanese is on a three-state blitz today – breakfast in Hobart, lunch in Adelaide and dinner in Perth.

Anthony Albanese speaks to reporters in Hobart on Sunday. Photograph: Linda Higginson/AAP
Share

Updated at 

Good morning

Good morning, and happy Monday. Nick Visser here to get the blog started. Here’s what’s on deck:

New South Wales police have charged nearly 1,000 people with more than 2,000 charges in total as part of a statewide operation targeting offenders with a history of domestic violence. Officials said the effort was meant to ensure the safety and wellbeing of domestic and family violence victims.

Meanwhile concert pianist Jayson Gillham’s discrimination case against the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra will begin today. He is suing the orchestra over the termination of his contract, which was ended after he performed a piece in 2024 dedicated to journalists killed in Gaza.

I’m sure there’s much more to come, stick with us and we’ll bring you all the latest updates.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version