Faridabad, August 23: Social and political activist Rakesh Handu, a close friend of late Satish Tickoo, has called for a fast-track trial in Tickoo’s killing, alleging that the case has remained unresolved for nearly 36 years despite the alleged identification of the accused.
Handu, in a statement issued here, said the recent reopening and investigation of several cases related to killings in Kashmir had raised hope among the families of victims, but questioned why similar action had not been taken in Tickoo’s case.
“Bitta Karate alias Farooq Ahmed Dar himself accepted on national television that he killed Satish Tickoo. For 36 years, his old parents, family and friends have been fighting for justice. Why is he still not punished?” Handu said.
Handu was referring to Mohammad Farooq Dar, popularly known as Bitta Karate, and alleged that Dar had publicly acknowledged responsibility for Tickoo’s killing. The allegation and any purported admission would be subject to judicial determination.
Handu welcomed the State Investigation Agency’s (SIA) recent action in several cases linked to killings in Kashmir, including the filing of a 737-page chargesheet in the Sarla Bhat murder case against Yasin Malik and others, as well as searches in connection with the 1990 killings of Sarwanand Koul Premi and his son Virender Koul.
He said the SIA was also pursuing cases related to the killings of former judge Neelkanth Ganjoo in November 1989, BJP leader Tika Lal Taploo in September 1989 and the Wandhama massacre of January 1998, in which members of the Kashmiri Pandit community were killed.
“If the SIA can trace the killers in cases after 36 years, why not in Satish Tickoo’s case? The accused has been identified and, as we have repeatedly maintained, he has spoken about the killing on camera. What more evidence is needed?” Handu said.
Handu also alleged that a case file concerning the killing of three members of a minority community in Malhar, Billawar, in Kathua district in 2003, which he said had been handed over to the SIA, was missing.
“On one side, cases are being reopened and investigated, while on the other, files are disappearing. This is not justice,” he said.
Handu urged Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and the SIA to pursue the Tickoo murder case through a fast-track judicial process, expedite investigation and prosecution in cases involving Kashmiri Pandit killings, and trace the alleged missing file relating to the Billawar killings.
He also demanded that all pending cases concerning the killings of Kashmiri Pandits be taken up on a priority basis.
“Justice delayed is genocide denied,” Handu said.


