Friday, May 22


NEW DELHI: The much-delayed 4th India-Africa summit that India was to host from May 28 to 31 was postponed on Thursday on account of the deadly Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Though not yet a global pandemic, the risk posed by the virus made WHO declare a health emergency of international concern earlier this week.Both sides announced the postponement in a joint press release, taking into account the emerging public health situation in Africa. This is the second time that an Ebola outbreak has led to postponement of the summit. The last summit that India hosted was originally scheduled for Dec 2014 but could take place only 10 months later for the same reason.Also read | India tightens Ebola surveillance at airports, issues health advisory for travellers from African nations“Recognising the importance of ensuring full participation and engagement of African leaders and stakeholders, and mindful of the emerging public health situation on the continent, consultations were held between Govt of India, Chairperson of the African Union, and the African Union Commission regarding holding of the summit and associated activities,” said the press release.“Both sides agreed that it would be advisable to convene the summit at a later date,” it added. Fresh dates will be finalised through mutual consultations and communicated in due course, govt said.The summit would have seen some major announcements by India to ramp up development aid for Africa, like the $10 billion concessional line of credit govt announced for the continent in 2015 – the last time it hosted the summit.India reaffirmed its solidarity with Africa in the press release, expressing its readiness to contribute to Africa CDC-led efforts to address the evolving health situation, in line with the shared commitment to an Africa-led response.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version