Sunday, February 22


Burnley say they are “disgusted” by online racist abuse that was directed at midfielder Hannibal Mejbri after the Clarets’ Premier League match at Chelsea.

Mejbri was sent the abuse on Instagram following Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.

The Tunisian shared an image of the abuse on Instagram and in another post wrote: “It’s 2026 and there are still people like that. Educate yourself and your kids, please.”

Burnley said the post has been reported to the police and Instagram owner Meta for further investigation.

“There is no place for this in our society and we condemn it unreservedly,” the club said in a statement.

“The club continues to be unequivocal in its stance – we have a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination.

“The club has reported the post to Instagram’s parent company, Meta, and expects a strong response from them, together with the Premier League and the police, and will work to ensure that the individual responsible is identified and investigated.

“Hannibal will receive the full backing from the club and from the Burnley fans, who we have already seen condemning the abuse. There is no room for racism.”

In Saturday’s game, Mejbri was on the receiving end of the foul that earned Wesley Fofana his first yellow card, before the Chelsea defender was later sent off for a second bookable offence.

In November last year, Preston North End’s Milutin Osmajic was given a nine-game ban and fined £21,000 after being found guilty of racially abusing Mejbri during a Championship game against Burnley.

BBC Sport has contacted Meta for a response.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version