Sunday, August 23


Bengaluru, Leader of the Opposition in the Karnataka Assembly R Ashoka on Sunday announced that the BJP and its ally JD(S) would lay siege to Vidhana Soudha here on August 24 seeking the removal of Planning and Statistics Minister B Nagendra from the cabinet.

Addressing reporters here, Ashoka alleged that Nagendra should be removed for his involvement in Rs 89 crore Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation scam.

The BJP workers had been staging protests and day-and-night dharnas across the state for the past week and announced that the party would march from Freedom Park and lay siege to Vidhana Soudha at 9.30 am on Monday. BJP state president B Y Vijayendra would also participate in the protest, he said.

Also read: Rahul Gandhi’s Pune student event a ‘political comedy show’: BJP

“We will not stop here. Tomorrow too, we are going to lay siege to Vidhana Soudha,” Ashoka said.

Live Events


The former Deputy Chief Minister alleged that the Congress government was trying to suppress the truth by staging counter-protests. He said the agitation would continue both inside and outside the legislature.
The Valmiki Corporation controversy erupted in May-June 2024, when its accounts superintendent P Chandrasekharan died by suicide, leaving behind a note alleging financial irregularities in the corporation.The subsequent investigation found that Rs 89 crore had been illegally transferred from its Union Bank account to various accounts, with the overall alleged diversion of funds later pegged at about Rs 187 crore.

Nagendra, who was then the Scheduled Tribes Welfare Minister, resigned from the Siddaramaiah Cabinet on June 6, 2024, amid the controversy and subsequent investigations by central agencies.

He was re-inducted into Chief Minister D K Shivakumar’s Cabinet on August 3, 2026, and allocated the Planning and Statistics portfolio as part of the Cabinet expansion in which 19 Congress MLAs were inducted as ministers.

The BJP and JD(S) have since stepped up protests inside and outside the Assembly and Legislative Council, demanding Nagendra’s removal.

The Opposition has disrupted proceedings over the issue, maintaining that the government should not retain a minister facing allegations linked to the corporation scam.

Ashoka on Sunday questioned the Congress leadership’s “loyalty”, asking whether it stood with the interests of Scheduled Tribes, constitutional values and proper utilisation of taxpayers’ money, or with Nagendra.

“There are more than 34 cases involving him, and all these cases are related to looting,” Ashoka alleged.

The LoP claimed that the BJP had compiled details of 35 cases, including those relating to mining and the Valmiki Corporation He said he had held a detailed discussion with Union Minister and JD(S) state president H D Kumaraswamy, who, according to Ashoka, supported continuing the agitation.

The BJP leader said the party’s objective was to ensure proper utilisation of taxpayers’ money, protect the interests of Scheduled Tribes and uphold constitutional values.

The proposed Vidhana Soudha siege is the latest escalation in the opposition’s campaign against Nagendra, with the BJP seeking to keep the Valmiki Corporation issue at the centre of the ongoing confrontation with the Congress government.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version