BENGALURU: Three days after Saketh Sreenivasaiah was first reported missing from Berkeley in California, the Consulate General of India in San Francisco has confirmed the 22-year-old student’s death through a post on X. As of late Sunday, the boy’s family in Karnataka was awaiting a formal communication.In a post on X at 5.12am on Feb 15, the Consulate General of India said: “The Consulate deeply regrets to inform that local police confirmed the recovery of the body of Saketh.”Saketh was pursuing a postgraduate degree in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley. According to reports, he was last seen in the 1700 block of Dwight Way earlier this week before being reported missing.
“We extend our heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones during this profoundly difficult time. The Consulate stands ready to provide all necessary assistance to the family, including coordination with local authorities and arrangements for the repatriation of mortal remains to India at the earliest. Our consular officers are in direct contact with the family and will support them with all required formalities and services,” Consulate General of India added.When contacted by TOI around 7pm, Saketh’s father Sreenivasaiah said he had not received any official communication — from MEA, US Embassy or from Karnataka govt — confirming his son’s death. “Without asking us to confirm, how can we believe the post on X,” he said.Asked about the developments, Sreenivasaiah said the last communication he received was on Feb 14 from the Consulate General of India in San Francisco. “They sent a WhatsApp message saying they are trying to find my son. That, too, was not anything official,” he said, declining to comment further on possible delays, stating he understood procedures had to be followed.A day earlier, the Consulate General had posted on X expressing concern over Saketh’s disappearance and that it was in touch with the family.
