A couple say words cannot describe how they feel after their home was destroyed in the Stourbridge wildfire.
Robin and Loxie Williams have lived at the four-bedroom house, on Ounty John Lane, for 26 years and had been out with friends last Thursday when the blaze broke out.
Surveying the wreckage of their home, they told the BBC that on their return that day they found firefighters had closed the road and they were forced to watch their neighbourhood going up in flames on TV.
“Somebody sent us a clip, which we couldn’t believe,” said Loxie, 78. “When you saw those flames coming out of the top you just couldn’t believe it.”
Nineteen properties across five streets were fully destroyed in the fires, which broke out in Stourbridge and multiple other areas across the West Midlands, on the hottest day of the year so far.
Another 18 in the town were damaged.
Loxie said virtually all their possessions have been lost and they understand it will take more than two years to rebuild their home.
A teacup, some paperwork and the remains of some clothes left in the kitchen, are among the few items left.
“I got up early that morning because we were going out and I knew it was going to be hot,” she explained.
“I did the ironing before I went and there’s a mountain of [burnt] clothes.”


