BENGALURU: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has sought sanction for prosecution from Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot against Statistics and Planning Minister B Nagendra in connection with the Karnataka Maharishi Valmiki Scheduled Tribe Development Corporation scam, in which Rs 90 crore was allegedly siphoned off.Of this, Rs 84 crore has been recovered by the state government in various forms and through different means.Confirming this, Opposition Leader R Ashoka said the Lokayukta had also sought sanction for prosecution against BJP leaders Koppal MLA Gali Janardhana Reddy and former Honnali MLA M P Renukacharya in a disproportionate assets case.On Sunday, addressing the media, Ashoka said: “There are three chargesheets which have been filed against Nagendra and all of them have been vested with the Governor. While the deputy chief minister G Parameshwara claims that there is no name of Nagendra in the chargesheet, why would the CBI seek the governor’s assent for prosecution? As per my understanding, there are three sanctions for prosecution cases pending before the Governor. These are Nagendra, Janardhana Reddy and Renukacharya.”Ashoka claimed that the cases had been sent by the Governor to the state Cabinet for its opinion.“But mark my words, the government will not give sanction for prosecution for Nagendra but clear it for Janardhana Reddy and Renukacharya in the disproportionate assets case as the latter two are from the BJP,” alleged the Opposition leader.Confirming this, Lok Bhavan sources said the matters in the three cases were being referred to the Law Department for its opinion.“Considering that the Governor has to seek the aid and advice of the government, the matter is being consulted with the law department but no decision has been taken till date,” said the Lok Bhavan officials.The confirmation that the sanction for prosecution is pending with the Governor and has been sent to the government for its opinion is likely to further strengthen the protests planned by the BJP-JD(S) opposition. The alliance plans to intensify its protests from Monday, with its city units organising a Vidhana Soudha gherao and continued sloganeering inside the House.“I have discussed the matter with our alliance partners, including union steel and heavy industries minister from the JD(S) H D Kumaraswamy who have given his and his party support to the continued protest, inside and outside the house. He has approved our line of protest and as a result we will continue until such a time that Nagendra resigns,” said Ashoka, adding that he spoke to Kumaraswamy by telephone on Saturday evening.


