Monday, August 17


Entertainment industry and AFL figure Ralph Carr says he is in “living hell” and has been “destroyed” after being convicted of rape, a Victorian court has heard.

Carr was convicted of two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault after a trial in the county court of Victoria last month.

He pleaded not guilty to the offences, which were committed against a former employee in March 2023.

On Monday, the court heard that Carr told psychiatrist Dr Jacqueline Rakov that he had deliberately hit his head while in custody as an act of self-harm and was having three to four panic attacks a day.

Rakov appeared during what is known as a sentencing or plea hearing, where submissions are made by the defence and prosecution regarding the sentence that should be handed down by a judge.

Dermot Dann KC, for Carr, said that a 14 August report from Rakov based on three video conversations she had with him while he was in custody in the Melbourne Assessment prison also detailed that he spent 23 hours a day on lockdown in his prison cell.

“When he describes it as like a living hell, and that he’s destroyed … what he means by being destroyed … is because of the nature of the reporting, the scale of the reporting.

“His career is destroyed, no matter what comebacks he makes in terms of these proceedings,” Dann said.

“The damage to his career has been done, because his career relied on public relations, connections, knowing the right people at the right time, creating opportunities for his clients. But now, the situation is completely different.”

A sketch artist depicts Ralph Carr in court on Monday. Illustration: Paul Tyquin/AAP

Dann said Rakov was concerned Carr could kill himself if his application for a stay on his sentence was denied.

“If someone has hope, if there’s a goal for someone, a prospect for someone … that’s something to look forward to,” Dann said.

“If that hope or that goal is ruined, we would say this situation is particularly concerning, particularly dark, particularly grim … for someone who maintains their innocence.

“It’s a terrible, terrible situation.”

Dann said it was unclear whether Carr was being held in 23-hour lockdown because of his risk of self-harm or because he was a high-profile inmate who could be at risk of harm from others.

Carr told Rakov he also had been recommended for hospital transportation twice because of his blood pressure, which had reached rates above 200, and was barely sleeping or eating.

Rakov is also giving evidence on Monday. She has previously given evidence at other hearings for Carr in relation to his application for a suppression order.

Dann said it was accepted that Carr would receive a significant sentence for “very serious” offending.

But he said Carr’s lack of previous criminal history, prior good character and work record, his role within his family, and the impact his incarceration has had on him and others were all matters which should be considered in mitigation.

skip past newsletter promotion

Dann also said that as Carr maintained his innocence it was accepted he would not get a discount for showing remorse, or pleading guilty to the charges.

Dann said he understood no victim impact statement would be tendered but it was accepted the offences had an impact on the former employee of Carr.

The assault occurred in March 2023, after the woman said she spent an evening drinking and taking cocaine with Carr, 66, while listening to music and watching football at his friend’s home.

Both the prosecution and defence argued the most important witness was the alleged victim, who gave evidence over more than four days before a closed court. Carr did not give evidence during the trial.

Carr’s identity was suppressed within days of him being charged because multiple courts found he was at risk of harming himself because of the allegations.

The granting of suppression orders on mental health grounds in Victoria had come under scrutiny after another county court rape case involving an AFL identity, Tom Silvagni.

The Victorian government announced last week that it would change the law regarding suppression orders.

Carr has represented some of the biggest names in Australian pop music since the 1990s, including Vanessa Amorosi, Kate Ceberano and Tina Arena, who he married while she was signed to him. Carr and Arena divorced in 1999.

At its peak, his company Ralph Carr Management had a record label, a publishing company and a promotions/touring arm, with a client list including entertainment reporter Richard Wilkins and Neighbours star and singer Bonnie Anderson.

In recent years Carr lost a number of his high-profile clients, but continued to manage a small number of AFL players, most notably former star Richmond midfielder Dustin Martin. Martin said after the verdict that he had immediately cut all ties with Carr.

The court is yet to hear submissions regarding the sentence from the prosecution. Judge Frank Gucciardo said he expected to hand down his ruling on Carr’s stay application and sentence next week.

The hearing will continue on Tuesday.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version