Officials cite system transition, assure disbursal soon
Ovaise Gul
Srinagar, May 22: Even as Jammu and Kashmir has achieved around the 80 per cent completion mark under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U), several beneficiaries allege that instalments of financial assistance under the scheme are still pending.
Many beneficiaries from different parts of Jammu and Kashmir said they have either completed or nearly completed construction of their houses, but have not received the remaining instalments from the Housing and Urban Development Department (H&UDD).
Some beneficiaries told Rising Kashmir that they have been facing severe financial strain due to delays in the release of assistance.
“Many visits have been made to my house, which is now complete. But so far, I have received only one instalment of Rs 80,000 since my case was approved under the scheme in 2021,” Abdul Wahid, a beneficiary from Rambailgad, Srinagar, said.
Javaid Ahmad Mir, another beneficiary from Ward 11 in Kupwara, said he has received only around Rs 40,000 under the scheme so far. “My house is now complete, but I had to take loans and borrow money to finish construction in the absence of timely government assistance,” Mir said.
Sources in the department claimed that around Rs 52 crore released by the Government of India (GoI) on January 8, 2026, for disbursal among beneficiaries before the end of the previous financial year could not be released. They said several beneficiaries have been awaiting instalments for a long time, forcing many to avail bank loans to complete construction.
Shabaz Ahmad Shaksaz, a beneficiary from Shaksaz Mohallah in Achabal, said only Rs 82,000 out of the sanctioned Rs 2.19 lakh has been released during the last four years.
“We have received only two instalments of Rs 41,000 each during the last four years. The house is fully complete now, but the sanctioned amount has still not been fully released,” he said.
Shaksaz added that he, along with four other beneficiaries from Achabal, has been moving from pillar to post, but no action has been taken so far.
Managing Director, J&K Housing Board, Smita Sethi said the delay occurred due to a transition in the system. She, however, clarified that the pending amount was less than Rs 52 crore and had not lapsed.
“We have received the mother’s sanction, and once the amount is transferred to our account, we will start disbursing it in the shortest possible time,” she said.
