Thursday, May 21


US intelligence assessments suggesting Iran could rebuild key military capabilities within months have raised fresh questions over the long-term effectiveness of US-Israeli strikes on Tehran’s defence infrastructure. According to a CNN report citing multiple sources familiar with American intelligence, Iran has already restarted parts of its drone production during the six-week ceasefire that began in April, signalling a far quicker recovery than initially anticipated in Washington.The report comes as President Donald Trump continues to threaten renewed military action if Tehran refuses to agree to a broader peace settlement. Intelligence officials told CNN that some assessments now indicate Iran could fully restore its drone attack capability in as little as six months. One US official quoted by CNN said: “The Iranians have exceeded all timelines the IC had for reconstitution.”

Iran rebuilds amid ceasefire fears

American intelligence agencies believe Iran’s recovery has been aided by external support, particularly from Russia and China. CNN reported that Chinese components used in missile manufacturing continued reaching Iran during the conflict, although officials believe the ongoing US naval blockade has slowed those supplies.Drone production has emerged as a particular concern for US allies in the Gulf and Israel. Analysts fear Tehran could increasingly rely on drone warfare to compensate for degraded missile capabilities if fighting resumes. Iranian drones remain capable of reaching targets across the Gulf region and Israel.At the same time, tensions remain high around Iran’s nuclear programme. According to Reuters, Iran’s leadership has rejected demands to transfer enriched uranium stockpiles abroad. Sources familiar with internal discussions said Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei had ordered that the material “should not leave the country”, viewing it as essential for national security after the recent strikes.Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has meanwhile insisted hostilities cannot fully end unless Iran dismantles its missile infrastructure and halts support for regional proxy groups.

Mounting cost of Operation Epic Fury

Questions over the campaign’s success have grown alongside reports detailing the scale and cost of US losses during the conflict. According to a Congressional Research Service report, at least 42 American military aircraft were damaged or destroyed during Operation Epic Fury.The reported losses included fighter jets, refuelling aircraft, surveillance planes and more than two dozen MQ-9 Reaper drones. During a congressional hearing earlier this month, Acting Pentagon Comptroller Jules W Hurst III said operational costs linked to the conflict had risen to $29 billion, with much of the increase tied to repairing or replacing damaged equipment.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version