RANCHI: The Jharkhand government on Monday cancelled the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014, addressing one of the key demands of students protesting alleged irregularities in recruitment exams.The decision was announced after chief minister Hemant Soren chaired a marathon cabinet meeting at the state secretariat. The government also decided to set up an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to recommend measures to strengthen the recruitment process.“The government has decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam, which was one of the major demands of the protesting students. We have also decided to cancel all tests conducted by outsourced agency TDPL and the results published by it,” Soren told reporters after the meeting.The announcement came as six students continued their hunger strike and a government panel prepared for another round of talks with the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which has led the agitation since July 25.“Today, our protest enters its 25th day. We may decide whether we continue or call the agitation off after the government’s announcement,” a protesting student said.Student leader Devendra Mahto, who had been on hunger strike for 16 days, broke his fast around midnight, while five other protesters continued their hunger strike.Students celebrated the government’s announcement by waving the Tricolour. Activist Sonam Wangchuk also congratulated Mahto during a video call and described the decision as a victory for both the protesters and the government.However, the announcement did not immediately end the agitation. Protesters said their demand for a CBI probe into the alleged examination irregularities had not been accepted.Rahul Kranti, one of the protesters undergoing treatment at Sadar Hospital, said the agitation would continue unless the government agreed to a CBI investigation.Soren said the government had already enacted the Jharkhand Competitive Examination Prevention and Redressal of Unfair Means in Recruitment Act and would implement it strictly. He said the CID and a special investigation team had found “surprising factors” during their probe that could not be disclosed at this stage.“Several companies operating in Jharkhand appeared to be involved in a huge exam racket,” Soren said.The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exam, meanwhile, triggered a counter-protest by candidates who had cleared the examination and secured government jobs. A group of successful candidates gathered outside the state secretariat and appealed to Soren to revoke the decision, claiming it could leave around 2,000 people jobless.The opposition BJP backed the students’ demand for a CBI probe. Leader of opposition Babulal Marandi urged Soren to accept the demand, questioning why the government should oppose a CBI investigation if it was confident about the recruitment process. He also extended moral support to the planned August 20 demonstration.The government has maintained that the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL and TDPL-conducted examinations, along with the proposed reforms committee and stricter enforcement of the anti-unfair-means law, will help overhaul the recruitment examination system.Meanwhile, the CID continued raids in connection with the alleged irregularities. “We are conducting raids at the JSSC office in connection with alleged irregularities in various examinations,” CID ADG Manoj Kaushik said.


