Sunday, February 22


Hyderabad: Senior BRS leader and former MP B Vinod Kumar urged chief minsiter A Revanth Reddy to impose an immediate ban on paraquat dichloride (weedicide) in the state. He also asked the govt to promote safer alternatives such as brush cutters and other less hazardous weed management practices, and to conduct awareness programmes for farmers on safe and sustainable agricultural methods.In a letter to the chief minister on Saturday, Vinod Kumar said paraquat had already been banned in more than 70 countries worldwide and in certain states within India. He cited reports indicating that over 80% of farmers who died by suicide in the state had used this particular weedicide. Considering the gravity of the situation, he said, the govt should take immediate and decisive action to safeguard the lives of farmers and the general public.The BRS leader said he received a representation from Marri Mahesh Reddy of Kondagattu in Jagtial district, raising concerns about the highly toxic herbicide paraquat dichloride. Mahesh Reddy, along with his team, visited villages across the state to create awareness among farmers about the severe dangers posed by it. During their field interactions with farmers, it was observed that the weedicide was widely used to control unwanted weeds in agricultural fields. However, due to its easy availability, it was allegedly misused as a means of suicide by distressed farmers.The former MP said paraquat differed from many other pesticides and herbicides, and there is no medical antidote available for paraquat poisoning. Even accidental ingestion or exposure often makes it extremely difficult to save the victim’s life. Scientific studies have also established that prolonged exposure to paraquat spraying could cause severe damage to the nervous system. Additionally, he said, it poses serious environmental hazards and degrades soil fertility over time.



Source link

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version