Nagpur: Construction activity on East High Court Road, particularly the stretch between Central Mall and Kachipura Square, has put the spotlight on the alleged violation of a 10-year-old Bombay high court order banning construction and renovation work between 8pm and 8am.Residents of Ramdaspeth have alleged that heavy construction work continues at several sites in the area during night hours, causing noise and air pollution. Resident and advocate Anil Wadpalliwar said he had drawn the authorities’ attention to construction activities at multiple sites, especially along East High Court Road.Wadpalliwar said the work, including concrete-related activity, continues late into the night, causing considerable disturbance to residents. Wadpalliwar had approached Bajaj Nagar police station seeking action against the alleged violations. However, no action has been taken so far, he claimed.The complaints have also reached local corporator Vinay Dani. Dani acknowledged receiving oral complaints from residents about night-time construction in the locality. He urged residents to submit written complaints to the authorities so that the violations could be formally recorded and appropriate action initiated.The Nagpur bench of Bombay high court had issued the restriction on Feb 18, 2016, in a suo motu public interest litigation concerning noise pollution caused by construction and renovation activities during night hours.A division bench comprising Justices BR Gavai and PN Deshmukh had noted that night-time construction noise could severely affect school-going children, particularly with examinations approaching. The court consequently directed that no construction or renovation activity be carried out between 8pm and 8am.A decade later, residents say enforcement remains a concern. Wadpalliwar also pointed to the presence of hospitals in and around the area, saying continuous construction noise and dust could add to the difficulties faced by patients, senior citizens and children.Residents have now sought coordinated action by the police and civic authorities against construction agencies allegedly violating the court’s directive.


