Mangaluru: Residents and railway users from Puttur and surrounding areas have launched an online signature campaign demanding a scheduled halt for the proposed Bengaluru–Mangaluru Vande Bharat Express at Kabaka Puttur railway station.The campaign was jointly initiated by Puttur–Subrahmanya rail users and DK district railway users on Aug 21, and will remain open until midnight on Aug 24. The petition has garnered more than 1,650 signatures so far.The demand has gained urgency following the train’s trial runs between Aug 11 and 20, which indicated that the new service could be introduced soon and its timetable finalised shortly. Residents fear Kabaka Puttur may be left out, as was reportedly the case with an earlier proposal for a Bengaluru–Goa service.Campaign organisers said Kabaka Puttur serves as a crucial gateway for a vast rural hinterland, including Sullia, Uppinangady, Vitla and Bellare. The station is used throughout the year by students, employees, business people and other passengers travelling to Bengaluru and Mangaluru.“If Kabaka Puttur is not included, passengers from Puttur–Sullia–Uppinangady–Vitla–Bellare belt may have to travel by road to another station to access the VB service. This would result in additional travel time, cost and inconvenience, particularly for students, senior citizens, families and regular travellers,” the organisers said.They also argued that adding Kabaka Puttur as a stop would benefit the railways by attracting more daily passengers and increasing revenue.The organisers have urged the ministry of railways and SWR to assess the station’s actual passenger demand. They hope the online campaign will demonstrate the strength of public support and persuade the authorities to include the halt before the final timetable is announced.


