Pic: The convicts of Sanapur rape case were brought to the first additional district and sessions court in Gangavathi on Monday for the sentencing announcementKoppal: The death sentence awarded on Feb 16 by the first additional district and sessions court in Gangavathi, in the Sanapur rape and murder case, once again turned the spotlight on the security of tourists visiting Hampi.The case relates to the brutal rape of an Israeli tourist and a local homestay owner, and the murder of a domestic tourist near Sanapur village in Gangavathi taluk on March 6 last year. The crime took place near the heritage landscape governed by the Hampi World Heritage Area Management Authority.SP Ram L Arasiddi said the victims had gone stargazing near Sanapur lake when they were attacked. The accused allegedly assaulted the group, raped two women, and pushed three male tourists into the Tungabhadra Left Bank Canal, resulting in the death of one of them. Police swung into action within hours. Multiple teams were formed, and the accused were arrested within 24 hours. A 750-page charge sheet was filed on May 30, 2025, within 84 days of the crime. The prosecution relied on forensic, medical and DNA evidence, besides detailed witness statements.However, the incident sparked outrage and raised concerns over safety of tourists in the region. The incident was extensively reported in national and international news outlets, resulting in dramatic decrease of tourists. Safety issues were highlighted by local and international tourism agencies, and businesses faced severe challenges.Public prosecutor Nagalakshmi led the arguments on behalf of the victims. The trial was completed within 6 months. On Feb 6, 2026, the court convicted the three accused, and on Feb 16, Judge Sadananda Nagappa Nayak pronounced the death sentence.The Sanapur verdict is seen as both a milestone in the delivery of justice and a reaffirmation of the state’s resolve to safeguard visitors and protect Hampi’s global reputation.IGP’s take on the verditDr Harsha PS, Inspector general of police (IGP), Ballari range, said that the death sentence awarded to three convicts in Sanapur tourist rape and murder case has sent a strong message that crimes against tourists will not be tolerated. He emphasised that the conviction and capital punishment reflects on police department’s commitment to ensure safety and security of tourists, both domestic and foreign. “Karnataka remains a safe destination, and any attempt to disturb public safety will be dealt with firmly and lawfully,” he asserted.He also commended the investigating officers for their professionalism and dedication in securing justice for the victims. Dr Ram L Arasiddi, ASP Hemanth Kumar, public prosecutor Nagalakshmi, and other senior police officers were present at the media briefing.Death row convicts in tourist rape-murder case shifted to Ballari Central JailThe 3 convicts sentenced to death by the 1st Additional District and Sessions Court in Gangavathi on Feb 6 for the rape of 2 women, including an Israeli tourist, and the murder of a male tourist were shifted to Ballari Central Jail on Tuesday. Following the pronouncement of the sentence, prison and police authorities completed the mandatory legal formalities, including the issuance of conviction warrants and documentation related to death row procedures. The convicts were initially lodged in Koppal district jail under tight security arrangements. On Tuesday, they were escorted to Ballari. Senior officials confirmed that elaborate security measures were in place during the transfer to prevent any untoward incidents. Sources said the Ballari Central Jail designated high-security enclosures for death row prisoners. Meanwhile, officials stated that the convicts have the right to file an appeal before the high court against the death sentence, as per due legal process.
