Iran on Sunday rejected recent remarks made by US secretary of state Marco Rubio accusing Washington of trying to “distort the realities of the region” and diverting “attention from the destabilizing policies of the United States and the Zionist regime.”In a press statement issued by the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in India, the Iranian side pushed back against Rubio’s comments on global energy stability and Iran’s role in oil markets.“The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in India rejects the recent remarks made by the United States Secretary of State regarding the Islamic Republic of Iran and emphasizes that such allegations constitute a clear attempt to distort the realities of the region and to deflect attention from the destabilizing policies of the United States and the Zionist regime,” the statement said.Also read: Rubio delivers invitation to PM from Trump to visit US, says US won’t allow Iran to hold energy market hostageThe embassy also defended Iran’s position in global energy trade, saying US sanctions were responsible for disruptions in the energy market.“As one of the world’s major exporters of oil and energy, the Islamic Republic of Iran has always been prepared to make its energy resources available to all countries, including the Republic of India. What has held the global energy market hostage over recent years has been the unlawful and unjust sanctions imposed by the United States on Iran’s oil exports; sanctions that have been designed and enforced in violation of the principles of international law and the Charter of the United Nations, with the aim of exerting economic pressure on the Iranian nation.”The response came after Rubio’s recent remarks, in which he accused Iran of “holding the global energy market hostage.”“US energy products have the potential to diversify India’s energy supply.” His office also stated that “the United States will not let Iran hold the global energy market hostage.”Rubio made the remarks during his visit to New Delhi, where he met Prime Minister Narendra Modi to discuss energy cooperation, trade expansion under the “Mission 500” framework, and Indo-Pacific strategic alignment through the Quad.During discussions on energy security, Rubio’s office, quoted by Reuters, said the United States viewed energy exports as a key tool for strengthening partnerships, especially with India, which remains a major crude importer facing supply diversification challenges.Also read: ‘They share personal relation’: Rubio invites PM Modi on behalf of Trump to visit White HouseHe also indicated that some progress had been made in negotiations involving Iran, suggesting that the conflict in West Asia could be moving towards a resolution after more than two months.“There has been some progress made. Even as I speak to you now, some work is being done,” Rubio said while speaking to reporters on the sidelines of an event at the US embassy.He added that Washington could make an announcement on the matter soon.“There’s been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you. There’s some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, or in a couple of days, we may have something to say,” he added.Rubio also said Iran must keep the Strait of Hormuz open for shipping without imposing tolls.Meanwhile, intensifying conflict in the Middle East has disrupted global energy flows and increased volatility in oil markets. The crisis began on February 28 when the US and Israel launched joint strikes on Iran. In response, Tehran tightened its choke on the crucial Strait of Hormuz, straining energy supplies across the globe.


