The US Secret Service announced on Sunday morning that an armed man was shot and killed after entering the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, Donald Trump’s Florida residence and private club in Palm Beach.
Although the US president often spends weekends at the ocean resort, he was at the White House in Washington during this incident, as was first lady Melania Trump.
The identity of the man who was shot has not been released. According to the Secret Service, he was “observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can”.
The suspect was in his early 20s and from North Carolina, according to investigators. He was reported missing a few days ago by his family.
Investigators believe he left North Carolina and headed south, picking up a shotgun along the way, Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.
The box for the gun was recovered in his vehicle, Guglielmi said. The man drove through the north gate of Mar-a-Lago as another vehicle was exiting, and he was confronted by Secret Service agents and was fatally shot.
Investigators are now working to compile a psychological profile and uncover a motive.
He was shot by Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach county sheriff’s deputy, the federal agency said, and the incident occurred around 1.30am ET on Sunday.
In July, 2024, Trump was wounded during an assassination attempt as he spoke at a rally for supporters in Butler, Pennsylvania, during the presidential election campaign. A bullet grazed his ear and some spectators were killed.
Then on September 15 of the same year a man with a rifle was captured after waiting near Trump’s golf course in West Palm Beach while the president played a round. He appeared to be pointing the weapon through a perimeter fence. He was sentenced to life in prison earlier this month.
The White House did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.
