Thiruvananthapuram: The survivor in the second rape case registered against Palakkad MLA Rahul Mamkootathil appeared before Nedumangad court and gave her confidential statement before a magistrate on Monday.The 23-year-old woman, a Bengaluru-based resident who filed a complaint alleging rape on the promise of marriage, recorded her statement detailing the incidents she said to have endured. Her deposition is considered a crucial development in the case.Thiruvananthapuram principal sessions court had earlier granted anticipatory bail to Mamkootathil in the case. However, based on the survivor’s confidential statement, further police action is expected in the coming days as per court’s directives. The complainant also underwent medical examination as part of the investigation on Monday.According to her complaint, she first came in contact with Mamkootathil through Instagram in Sept 2023. She alleged that he sought her Telegram account number and continued conversations through that platform. During their interactions, he expressed his intention to marry her. She stated that while her family was initially reluctant, they later agreed to the proposal.The survivor told the court that when she travelled from Bengaluru to her hometown on leave, Mamkootathil sought to meet her alone before she reached home, saying they needed to discuss their future. She alleged that he took her to a homestay located in a secluded area a few kilometres away from the city.According to her statement, Mamkootathil sexually assaulted her immediately after they entered the room. She said she tried to resist but was overpowered and subjected to severe physical and mental trauma. After the incident, he allegedly told her that he couldn’t marry her, citing his political career. He told her that his career wouldn’t allow him to give adequate attention to a wife and children. He later dropped her near her house in his car.The woman stated that Mamkootathil later visited her house in connection with the marriage proposal and threatened her, and that was the reason for the delay in filing the complaint.The case was registered after police received an email sent by the survivor to KPCC leadership, detailing allegations of sexual assault.
