Bhubaneswar: Around 13.44 lakh people in seven north Odisha districts — Balasore, Mayurbhanj, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Keonjhar, Kendrapada and Sundargarh — have been affected in the current spell of floods, even as the situation has started easing with river water levels receding, according to state emergency operation centre (SEOC) under the office of the special relief commissioner. But residents continue to face severe hardships as floodwater has damaged houses, destroyed crops, and hit fish and prawn farming, leaving families uncertain about their livelihood. Residents also fear snakebites and potential health problems as water levels drop.An official statement issued by revenue and disaster management department on Friday said the situation remains under close watch, while relief, rescue, restoration and essential service operations are continuing in the affected areas.Official sources said the situation in the seven districts had remained challenging over the past few days. However, major rivers were below the danger mark as of Friday.A resident of Dasarathpur block in Jajpur district, Sanatan Rout, said they are still surrounded by water. “This is the third flood within a month. Before we can recover from one flood, another hits us. Life has become very difficult,” said Rout.Sumati Dalai of Baliapal in Balasore district said floodwater from Subarnarekha river entered her village, disrupting road communication. Snakes have been entering houses, and crops have been lost, she said.Special relief commissioner Rajesh Prabhakar Patil said relief and restoration work is underway in all affected areas. The SEOC is monitoring the situation round the clock in coordination with district emergency operation centres.Relief shelters have been provided with safe drinking water, sanitation, lighting, medical assistance and cooked food. In marooned villages, response teams are delivering cooked food and drinking water to people at their homes. Arrangements have also been made for children, pregnant women, elderly people and those with disabilities.Free kitchens are functioning in the affected areas, and 4.95 lakh people have received cooked food so far. Dry food and essential relief materials are being supplied based on local needs, while 4,765 polythene sheets and rolls have been distributed among the affected families.A total of 126 response teams have been deployed for rescue and emergency operations. Health services remain a priority, with 93 medical teams deployed and 159 medical camps held. So far, 11,549 people have received medical assistance. As many as 150 pregnant women have been shifted to health institutions, and 44 institutional deliveries have taken place.Officials said adequate stocks of essential medicines, antivenoms, ORS and IV fluids are available, and no disease outbreak has been reported. Veterinary support is also being provided. The SRC office said it will continue round-the-clock coordination with district administrations and departments to ensure relief services and restoration of services.


